Our club and course opened in July of 1996. The course is set on 400 acres of land that is deeply rooted in its heritage. The clubhouse is located at the headwaters of the tributary that empties into the Piankatank River between “Fairfield Farm” and “Woodstock Plantation”. Fairfield being our home farm that joins the course to the east and “Woodstock” lies just west of holes 11, 12, 13 and 14. Having been built in 1840, Woodstock is of early Republican Architecture. The Plantation has Lancaster County ties having been sold in 1798 by George Brent and his wife Sarah, to James Ball of Lancaster, the executor for the John Fauntleroy estate. The current owner is the daughter of the now-deceased Margaret Beckwith, who was the widow of Robert Lincoln Todd Beckwith. He was the great-grandson and last-blood heir of Abraham Lincoln. Beckwith`s mother purchased the property in 1906.
Bordering Fairfield to the east is Scoggins Creek whose headwaters start at Lower Church, formerly referred to as the “Chapel of Ease”, dating to 1650. It was the first parish church of Christchurch predating the Mother Church. The present building was started in 1714 and completed in 1717. The building with its simple but stately elegance was originally Anglican occupied but it is used today as an active Methodist Church.
This region, from Wilton (near Twiggs Ferry Bridge) to Healys was once referred to as “a fertile crescent”, and peaked in activity and prominence with the advent of the steamboat. The steamboat “Piankatank” made its last stop on its regular route to Baltimore at Freeport just across the river from “Woodstock”. One might catch a glimpse of the past when standing on the 14th Tee by visualizing the Steamer anchoring off of “Woodstock” and taking on produce and livestock from stocking barges from Fairfield as it left Freeport and headed back to Baltimore. The tranquility of that day, when the pace had its own charm, inspired us to use the Steamboat as the symbol of our course and project. It is hoped that a round of golf through such a natural setting and a casual meal with us might restore a little of the charm of another era. Algie Pulley our course architect is renowned for utilizing the natural setting of the land and did a remarkable job of blending two distinctively different nine holes. The front nine rambles through wooded areas crossing seven springs and streams with over one hundred feet of elevation changes before giving way to a back nine that is a more “links style” having three holes playing along the Piankatank River with views that constantly change with the passing sun. Thanks for joining us and we hope you enjoy your time with us.
-The Fleet Family
Course Architect: Algie Pulley, 1996
Greens: Bent Grass